View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 04:38 AM
gimme a low-tech 240D

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjefke View Post
If I understand correctly, you have replaced the clutch (friction) disk, pressure plate, master cylinder and slave cylinder a couple of times already.
Heck, the only *new* parts I've heard about sounds like master and slave cylinders. The rest strikes me as repeatedly bleeding the system of air. First at California and then again at Nevada. And since it's apparently been temporarily fixed repeatedly yet not successfully, I'd bet on 40 yr old porous fabric wrapped hydraulic line that runs to slave cylinder oughta be replaced too.

But overall sounds like the car probly needs an entire new clutch the past coupla owner's including dpl been putting off. My guess is that's what all techs been thinkin who worked on this vehicle. And then gettin hollered at because price of repair exceeds piddling $1000 initial cost of the car.

dpl, am certain yer 220D aint just another throw away car. It grieves me to see them treated as such.

That $418 estimate for tranny in and out aint bad!! Parts ye need will be disc, pressure plate, throwout and pilot bearings. Expect y'all can git her permanently fixed at/near $1000 buyin yer own parts online and co-operating with tech doing the work. Hopefully with yerself not gettin bent outa shape.

Once again if/when ye finally decide to pull the tranny:

Pressure Plate
Friction Disc
Throw out bearing
Pilot Bearing
Trans mount, motor mounts and flex disc(?)

Plus probly machining and then shimming the flywheel since its been so long. Are we wrong to assume yer MB vintage/classic 115 had clutch problems since the day ye bought it? Good news is MB transmissions are extremely forgiving, rarely dying even if the car's been abused and neglected.

Last edited by 300SDog; 07-11-2008 at 05:36 AM.