View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy5848 View Post
Mercedes did a mid-year mod on the early 124 cars (the '87 300D) and perhaps on others, as you mention. It involved adding a special 1-fuse holder outside of the fuse compartment and wiring the blower fuse wires to it instead of the regular spot in the fuse box. The special holder takes a 30 amp "strip fuse" (like the glow plug relay uses). A thread on this is here.

Jeremy
This has already been seconded, I'll "third" it. My 300SDL (w126) also has this modification. When my plastic 30 amp fuse went, it melted the plastic fuse casing (nearly catching fire, i'm sure) rather than burning the strip fuse in two. When this happened, we simply went to Advance and bought a sturdily wired "fuse holder" (built for this purpose, introducing a fuse to a circuit) and a 30 amp standard stick-in American-car type fuse that fit it, plus a spare fuse to keep in the glove box. Replacement original parts are of course available but I don't like the idea of a potentially hot fuse in a plastic casing

Yes, I know the entire fuse box is plastic... but those seem, as a rule, to pose a bit less risk than strip fuses.

~Michael S.~
Past cars:

1986 300SDL
1987 300SDL
1982 240D
1982 300SD

Current:

1987 300SDL