View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 12:40 AM

1985 Mercedes 300DT A/C & Power Steering question.

Ok so ive been searching for like 2weeks. No good junkyards and no good pictures. I bought a 2000 chevy silverado with what I was told had a 1985 mercedes 300D turbo engine in it. He had said the a/c locked up, so after a while I got a reman pump and went to do this. well after 2day headache we finally got it ready to put freeon in (swaps are a ***** to work on) Well we started putting it in and freeon was coming out of the manifold/suction line right where it connects to the compressor. Quick question on something but not a big concern... is there any gasket or something that is supposed to go inbetween maybe? Our conclusion was that it was actually the hard line leaking. Anyway I look for a new line and none seem the same. Mine, the 2 lines from the compressor go straight up and have a bracket attached which you stick the bolt through and through the motor mount and into the compressor so basically a compressor mount bracket, then they continue up to two side by side disconnects (all of this being hardline) the disconnect part I am speaking of is under the power steering. Does anyone else have this line or is this something weirdly custom. I saw one thing said it was 1980-1984 so I was thinking maybe only 85s? I know 86s are WAY different and my engine is def 85down.

MY next question. The power steering line ON the pump the back one which I guess is high pressure, was leaking a little bit. Then we tried to tighten this made it SQUIRT so I disabled it temporarily. It has a flared end on it im thinking custom. So my next thought replace with factory line. WELL my line is only about 6inches and then has a screw off point.. any1 elses like that or is that custom or just a 85 thing? Your help would be appreciated.. Thanks