View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 11:33 PM
Happy with Mercedes

Thumbs up The job is do-able

Replacing the ETA is accomplished in several hours. I just did it - over several weekends - needed to buy the tools (5mm Allen wrench - I put at end of my ratchet)

To remove the MAF - I used a very long (like 18 to 24 inches) to release the "hose clamps" around the black rubber connector - between the MAF and the ETA.

With the clamps loose - the MAF comes off - nothing else holding it.

Then you see the four Allen screws. - they come all the way out.

Remove as much of the breather hose as you can - there are three parts. Twist and tug and pray - but the the ETA will just come out - removing the intake manifold is not required.

Here is why you need the new breather hoses (yes fast lane has them), attach the first hose to the ETA, and twist and push to get it back in under the manifold. Well, with old rubber - the breather hose brake - did for me. Well the new hose comes with pliable rubber. getting the gasket back in is the challenge I was presented. I "slid it in" after the ETA was within the manifold - I feared riping it.

I also replaced the rubber connector between the ETA and the MAF.

While the MAF is out - clean it as JimF suggest on his site.

With the ETA replaced - the car needs to "learn" it was replaced. This is accomplished by disconnecting the battery for "a while" (30 minutes) then turn the key to the second position, but don't start the car - let it sit for 120 seconds.

poof - you are done.

With a 95 E420 - I also needed to change the wire harness.

good luck

This post did not address if the ETA should be replaced - test it as other suggest. JimF suggests how to repair it yourself - I went to the dealer, and received a discount.

'86 560SL (186K) - Now a 'classic' : Registered as an Historic Vehicle
02 E430 in the stable
'14 LS460 (Lexus)
- - - - -
'95 E420 (198K) found a new home
'99 E320 (80K) (gave it's life for me as we hit a bumper)
'95 E420 (231K) Sold to a happy buyer, new to Mercedes
'90 300E (65K) Sold to an Mercedes Lover
'92 190E (215K) - retired to the salvage yard
'93 500SEL (214K) - Moved to another family, still runs like a young pup