View Single Post
Old 07-28-2008, 11:34 AM

You're more "legit" and have a great deal more "cred", in addition to "looking cooler" and being "different." There are some minor mechanical advantages too: a negligible reduction in drive-train losses, fewer parts which require maintenance and thusly reliability.

There's nothing an SS bike can do that a geared bike can't. There are many, many things that a fixed-gear SS bike cannot do that pretty much every other bike with more parts can.

I'm fairly against fixie from a practicality standpoint, and because of the scene associated with it, but don't mind SS track bikes. SS mountain bikers seem to me like they enjoy pain a little much for me, but I'll be joining them soon.

Interesting thing about exercise-induced asthma is that if you can get over the initial stages of it (for instance, Albuterol), exercising more will actually make it go away. I had an ex who lived with exercise/stress-induced asthma for most of her life, and she started exercising even more and eventually wound up mostly getting over it except in real bad emergencies or races.