View Single Post
Old 07-30-2008, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derburger View Post
1991 Grand Marquis Wagon, 100k miles...

1986 Ford Crown Victoria LTD Wagon, don't know much about it, getting more info soon. This has the same AOD transmission and fuel injected engine the 1991 does, correct?
The basic engine and trans are the same, but the '91 has a slightly more advanced fuel injection system with a mass airflow sensor. It may be good for an extra mpg or two. I believe the change was in '88.

Quote:
1988 Crown Victoria, good condition, $1000, good paint and interior.

I'm planning on looking at all three of these soon, as I leave for college in a few weeks, and I need to get something soon if I don't want to take my Mercedes.
Drive all three. Go for the one in best mechanical condition and/or best service documentation.

Quote:
Where else should I look for a Crown Vic/Marquis besides autotrader, the newspaper, Craigslist, eBay, etc? I might consider the 1986 if it has the same engine/trans combo that yeilds decent fuel economy on the highway.
The biggest change in box Panther engines was in 1986 when they went to SEFI and a hydraulic roller cam. 1985 and before came with CFI and got the same or a little worse mileage along with about 20 less horsepower. Really early models (like the '79) came with a carburetor, as did all of the 5.8 (351 Windsor) models. My personal opinion is that carburetors are the work of Satan, but that may just be from my recent Zenith experiences.

Besides the sources you listed, random cars for sale on the side of the road and (no, I'm not making this up) estate sales are pretty good places to find these cars.

83 300D Turbo with manual conversion, early W126 vented front rotors and H4 headlights 400,xxx miles
08 Suzuki GSX-R600 M4 Slip-on 22,xxx miles
88 Jaguar XJS V12 94,xxx miles. Work in progress.