View Single Post
Old 08-16-2008, 08:21 PM

Building an awning, snow loads, Kee klamps?

HI

I am replacing an awning on the back of my house that I am going to cover with solar panels. Our local utility has a new grant program that makes it very attractive to do as I have contacts in the solar industry and I can get cheap"ish" panels. I am going to build it out of a "Kee Klamp" knock-off product. It will be made from 1 1/4" galvanized, schedule 40 pipe.

Here is the technical information about the pipe

http://www.alvinindustrial.com/

I plan on a 10' span. It says that should support 448 lbs. I plan on eight pieces to support a 25' by 10' foot roof. That should give me 3584 lbs of support.

The panels weight 40lbs each times 16 panels gives me 640lbs of panels.

I am near Toronto, Ontario. I am wondering if this is good enough for possible snow loads, or way over built. I really don't know. I didn't get a permit as I am replacing an existing structure and really I don't want the hassle.

Here is a picture of the existing awning that was built buy the PO. I really hate it and look forward to removing it. I am basically going to rebuild it out of the steel clamps. What a mess! I was in the middle of a renovation when I took the picture.

Any advice is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Building an awning, snow loads, Kee klamps?-deck.jpg