View Single Post
Old 08-20-2008, 04:50 PM
WECO Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel1 View Post
Finally got to the compression test, Number 1 cylinder very low compression. This fix is beyond me so I took it to a trusted mechanic who will remove the head tomorrow and let me know the bad news. This car has 150K and is in pretty good shape otherwise.

What are the thoughts on what news I should expect as far as damage and costs? Is it worth to repair?

Thanks,
Bob
Hi Bob,

The head gasket is one of those things that at some point will need to be replaced. It sounds like you could possibly have a burnt or bent valve.

I replaced the head gasket (due to oil in coolant) on my '93 190E 2.3 exactly 1 year ago. The car had 87,000 miles and I bought it new and felt that the car was worth the effort. I did all of the work myself and had the head resurfaced, a valve job, and new valve guide seals done at a machine shop. I also replaced all of the rubber hoses, new hood pad, engine mounts, transmission mount, injector seals, a couple of temp. sensors, and a few other things since I was in there. I spent $1,073.00 to do it right and got the head re-worked, and all necessary parts. I don't regret spending the money, it turned out great and runs as good as new.

The minimum amount to do the head gasket myself would have cost
$365.00: Head gasket set, valve cover gasket, all new rubber radiator and heater hoses, Idle control valve hoses(they get brittle and crack), and coolant and distilled water.

Good luck with your car,

Dave

1993 190E 2.3
2001 SLK230
1971 LS5 (454) Corvette Convertible