View Single Post
Old 08-21-2008, 01:40 AM

300SDL 1 PSI Boost 1K Miles After Dealer Replaces Trap Oxidizer ?

Hello everyone -

I thought I might get some feedback from anyone who has been down this road.
Purchased this 300SDL about 1 year ago and did considerable work to get it road worthy. About 6 months ago took it to the local MB dealer to have the Trap Ox replaced with the catalyst. Drove the car off and on after the Catalyst replacement job at the dealer and had normal boost. When summer arrived, began driving the car on a regular basis and finally realized that the turbo boost I had a few months ago was gone.
Last week , while doing maintenance, saw a plume of exhaust shoot up in the engine compartment and found the flex tube/pipe in the exhaust manifold leaking. My thinking was ahhh , there is my lost turbo boost.
Pulled all of the necessary stuff off to replace the pipe.
For good measure I also removed the turbo , replaced the oil supply line gasket and return line gasket and o-rings.
Replaced all of the Turbo riser pipe o-rings, crossover pipe gasket, new exhaust manifold gasket etc....
After completion had no exhaust leaks .

Still no turbo boost.
I have previously removed the EGR and ARV vacuum lines as well as all of the other vacuum garbage on that side of the car.
I have verified that the EGR is closed and not leaking.
I have verified that the turbo waste gate is closed, though there is no spring return pressure on the waste gate. The waste gate is held closed very tightly by the actuator. The turbo spins freely by hand .
This really got me going, so I removed the ARV , plugged the recirculate port and checked for boost - - 1 PSI -- at 2000 RPMs measured at the hose from the compressor housing to the waste gate actuator port.
Obviously the waste gate actuator is disconnected during this test so it can not be opening the waste gate.
Just for kicks , measured boost at 2000 RPM at the intake manifold ... about 1 PSI again.
The last look was at the turbo spinning up with the intake boot removed.

Am I missing something or do I just have a dead turbo ? ? ?

I was fairly concerned when taking the car to the dealer to have the turbo
checked out for damage caused by the Trap Oxidizer. The dealer assured me the turbo was "OK" based upon the 1/10 hour check they did.
So, I can rest on the assurance from the dealer that if I have a problem with the turbo , "they'll take care of me" ...

Thanks
1984 300SD -- Sold 289K
------------------------------

Last edited by wgilmore; 08-21-2008 at 02:20 AM.