View Single Post
Old 08-22-2008, 12:47 AM

I searched - really I did!!

Hey all!

Relatively new owner (2 mos) of a 1986 560sl with 165k on the clock. Have been lurking and searching and learning for several months here prior to that. I have read virtually every thread related to vacuum leaks (which I believe I have). I was hoping in my search to find a vacuum diagram for the 560, but to no avail. Nor have I found "exactly" what I have for symptoms but some have been close. Here's the skinny on what's already been done...
1. brand new plugs, wires, rotor, cap - all the right stuff based on info gleaned here.
2. Soon after that, took it to an indy/dealer tech (works at an MB dealer/techs on the side out of his house for the older mb's) for a quick once over to give me a heads-up on what it needs and to plan for any "larger" expenditures that he may have found (like needing a rear main seal - which will be done after driving season). He took off the air cleaner, attached some device to the engine and turned a screw around the (what I assume was the) EFI to "adjust the mixture". Ran great for a while after that.

Now here's the problem, recently the economy gauge is generally pegged to the right (although sometimes when I step on the brake, it moves to the left). Sometimes it will move to the left, stay there during idle or coast but as soon as you step on the gas, it slams back all the way to the right. It sometimes runs a bit rough at idle but not overly so and appears/feels to run fine under load.

I truly believe vacuum is the culprit (per the myriad of posts regarding same) but, being a relative neophyte in auto mechanics (but not afraid to get my hands dirty), I have no idea on how to chase down a vacuum leak - especially without a functional and readable (to me) schematic. There was a great one for a 450sl in one of the posts I read but I'd bet that it's not the same for the 560. Any help and/or suggestions about the problem I'm having and/or a diagram would be greatly appreciated! And thanks for the education you all have already given my with your great posts on any number of topics. This place is a wealth of info and I need it!!

Stix