View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacmoyle View Post
I just bought a 98 E300. I put over 2500 miles on it already. I love it. It just started giving me trouble starting. If I wait longer before cranking it helps. I suspect it needs new plugs. It looks like the intake manifold needs to come off. I havnt got any books yet for it but can anyone tell me if manifold removal is straight forward or are the things I need to know ? Is glow plug removal as simple as it seems also ? I own and work on a Nissan SD33 diesel (for sale) and a 6.2 Chevy diesel but this is my first Mercedes so I would be gratefull for any tips

Scott
I have a 96 non turbo model, but once you get to the glow plugs, as mentioned, take your time and be patient. When I did mine, every one of them was carbon bound, and I ended up using about 3 cans of PB Blaster, and a product called Freeze-Off, both of which can be obtained at most auto supply stores. The other thing to get a six sided socket rather than a 12. This seems to get a better grip on the plug without rounding it off. I would suggest spraying down the plugs the night before you plan to do the job, and then use a torque wrench to try and get them out. The shearing point of the plugs are in the neighborhood of 45 N/M, and the torque wrench will enable you to stay within that limit. Some posters have advised warming up the engine before you attempt to remove the plugs, but that is up to you. Prior to installing the new plugs, it is best to get yourself the proper reamer to ream out the holes to insure that most of the carbon is removed.