View Single Post
Old 09-07-2008, 05:50 AM
dieselarchitect

These benz calipers are amazingly high quality. I have quite a few that are near 30 years old and still going. I just keep flushing the fluid from time to time and keep on driving. If they aren't leaking I don't even think about them.

I have had only one that comes to mind that has ever failed completely on me and it was my fault for letting the pad get too worn.

They normally fail by sticking and I go to my big drawer and pull out another used one, check it to be sure its not stuck, clean it up and go.

In all these years and 30 mostly pretty old benzes I think maybe I have actually bought only one or two rebuilt calipers.

I recently replaced a caliper on my 83 240/300 a couple of weeks ago thinking it had been leaking and halfway through the job realized I was looking at the residue from the lube from the failed cv that I replaced a month or so ago. I went ahead and replaced it with a used on from my drawer that I checked carefully before installing, since I was too far along to stop at that point.

Tom W
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.