View Single Post
Old 09-08-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Dalton View Post
While you can justify an improperly operating NSS that YOU installed as being No Big Deal, my bet is if you had a TECH do the same job and the install of the switch had the same results , you would be jumping up and down to Beat the Band with complaints of the repair.
Exactly. As a paid expert, it would be his/her responsibility to do it correctly. But I am not an expert, and all of my car jobs, even minor ones, are "projects" as you noted. Most of the time, they are 100% successful, but once in a while, as with this NSS, they are not. (While it is a simple repair, I saw, when doing the reasearch for it back then, that numerous people had problems with it, so it is not always an easy repair.)

It is obvious, and understood, what you were trying to communicate to DanielK and other readers about doing it right the first time. But since he was already past that point, and said "I have to move the shifter out of park and back into park for the car to start" I simply suggested he move it just to the bottom of park, and see what happens. My additional remark about having to find a new sweet spot is not standard procedure, but is precisely what a person would do in a jam -- especially if they remember posts like mine -- when installing it right the first time would not be an option, nor foremost on their minds. After that, they could go ahead and replace/realign the switch correctly.

When mine fries, as you predict, I promise to post the news here so everyone can have a good, hearty laugh at my expense. Then I'll shell out another $25.00 for the part, and spend 30 minutes under the car, probably doing it wrong all over again.

------------------------------------
Gone but not Forgotten:
2001 E430 4matic, 206,xxx miles, Black/Charcoal
1995 E320, 252,xxx miles, Black/Grey
1989 260E, 223,00 miles, Black/Black