View Single Post
Old 04-04-2002, 05:39 PM

Timing Chain Split link

Iv just changed a timing chain on a 300D, OM-617, dead easy, it has a split link, with a small elongated horse-shoe shaped spring clip which fits into two grooves machined in the pins of the master link. However Ive got a problem to sort out tomorrow morning-- While setting Injection pump timing, Ive dropped the delivery valve spring ( I had placed it and the valve on the air filter cover, but had to steady myself and placed my hand on top-- It stuck to my hand and you guessed it, fell off!)--Thought it had fallen to the ground, or been lost-- No Probs I thought-- Ive got an old pump take it off that! However, Guess where the missing spring is? Its currently sitting between the teeth of the crankshaft sprocket!! Bastard! Cant turn engine more than half a turn before it comes up against chain! Was dark, so I have lovely job for the morning, trying to get at the *^\** thing!!

The old addage runs true-- when working on cars, whatever you drop--will never hit the floor!

Alastair AKA H.C.II South Wales, U.K. based member

W123, 1985 300TD Wagon, 256K,
-Most recent M.B. purchase, Cost-a-plenty, Gulps BioDiesel extravagantly, and I love it like an old dog.

W114, 1975 280E Custard Yellow,
-Great above decks needs chassis welding--Really will do it this year....