View Single Post
Old 09-17-2008, 11:24 PM
General Purpose Geek

There are some very high quality LED strips out there, and there are some horrible ones. From what I've seen, there really is a correspondence between price and quality on these. And if you do this, I'd definitely get a spare.

I kind of like the idea of a smaller star and very thin LED strip frenched in above it (a lot of work).

It might be worth looking at a junkyard. One car relatively plentiful would be a late 80's - mid 90's Chrysler Le Baron. I think this "trunk lump" is somewhere between the size of the 86/87 and 88/89 mercedes assemblies. It should be dirt cheap too.

P.S. Yeah, the licence plate light assembly (3 pcs) is near impossible to find in good used condition and impossible to find in NEW condition (NLA). I had mine rechromed to the tune of 400 clams. At 400 clams, I wax the thing every other week Also, caution: there is a difference in lock hole size between earlier and late license plate lamp assemblies. I don't know where the break is, but my 85 and 86 have a larger hole than a used core that I have.
Daily Driver Project

http://juliepalooza.8m.com/sl/mercedes.htm