View Single Post
Old 09-20-2008, 05:35 PM
Opulence Spreader

Finally day of testing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wilson View Post
On the main vacuum line to the brake vacuum booster, near the rubber grommet at the first firewall, there is a small vacuum line the attaches to the built-in fitting on the main line. This is where the shut-off system gets it's vacuum to power itself. I would check here to see if it is broken off, and/or getting proper vacuum. Be careful, this fitting is 21 years old and is likely to be brittle and break off easily. Ask me how I know.
Thanks David! Lucky mine was replaced with a Y-at that fitting, and through other discussions on this forum that Y should not exist or rather it should not go anywhere else, so I plugged the one end.

So I did some testing on this and here is where I am at. The line coming from the vacuum pump to the brake booster (large vacuum line) shows about 25' when the car is on (with Mitty Vac inline). After I turn the car off it drops to about 20' and the needle shakes violently within a small range.

The car does not turn itself off anymore; I was able to hit the pedal to raise the RPM's and let it drop which would result in the engine shutting off sometimes but lately I have to pop the hood and press the STOP lever down every time (or let it run like that until I get back from the ATM or Quick Check.

Upon further investigation today, when turning the car in the off position the STOP lever goes almost all the way down; at that point the STOP lever only needs to be pressed very lightly maybe less than a half of an inch before the engine turns off.

1. How does this car stay on if the electric diesel pump(s) are off? (I am use to gasoline engines with their fuel pumps cutting off fuel)
  2. Is it bad to let the car ‘run’ when it is in the off position while I go inside the post office or other quick stops?
  3. Does this help anyone further see how I can fix this issue?
'04 VW GTI (Rhino, Sold)
'12 VW GTI Autobahn (Shadow)