View Single Post
Old 09-21-2008, 09:54 AM
Opulence Spreader

Sixto,

I have to admit this is my first Diesel car so I am not great with the terminology of everything nor do I know everything about the mechanics however I think you specifically, or others have helped with with problems I have had in the past (and I thank you for that of course) however I do have a MittyVac (couldn't tell exactly if you knew that by your comment on 3). I used to MittyVac to find out my VCV was bad among other things.

That being said I am still going to perform your test later on today after a birthday party I have to attend. (Maybe this morning if I have time )

That 5 way-splitter has been replaced with a 2-way Y that removes the two lines that go off to the left (if your facing the car from the front) for emissions (performed this a while ago while testing for the transmission issue and left it that way). My ALDA is removed too however the car shut off properly after both of those modifications.

Thanks for your help!

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixto View Post
1) Your car didn't come from the factory with electric fuel pumps. If it has them, it's part of a WVO conversion or someone got creative.

2) It doesn't hurt the engine to run without electricity. I don't know about the alternator. You should be more concerned with the safety and legal aspects of that practice. Removing the key locks the steering wheel but not the shifter!

3) Time for plan B. Seems you're not the type who'd have a MityVac. We can work around that...

Try this - locate the 5 way fitting atop the engine vacuum pump at the front of the engine. It should be inboard of the big fuel filter. Replace one line, any line, with a hose that will reach the injection pump and remove the hose that attaches to the shut-off actuator above the stop lever. Start the engine. Connect the hose from the vacuum pump to the shut-off actuator. If the engine stops, your problem is between the fitting along the brake booser vacuum line and the key switch. If the engine doesn't stop or is slow to stop, your problem is the shut-off actuator.

Sixto
87 300D
'04 VW GTI (Rhino, Sold)
'12 VW GTI Autobahn (Shadow)

Last edited by frankstallone; 09-21-2008 at 06:51 PM.