View Single Post
Old 04-07-2002, 01:06 AM

OK Joe, no sweat. One thing I'd like to mention is that if he's replacing the flange he should be doing the bearing too. As I mentioned, the inner race almost always comes off when the flange is pulled, and even if it doesn't I'd still be leery of reusing the bearing, as the removal of the flange will still put a pretty good side load on the inner bearing race, which could lead to problems later on. Doesn't matter that the bearing was already replaced, I'd have him put a new one in, just wouldn't trust it.
Also, just to touch on something else you mentioned (oh boy, here we go again) . On the inner part of the flange, the side that faces the inside (the half-shaft butts up against) it seems to me there may be a circular groove there. I didn't realize it at the time, but we may be talking about 2 different areas of the flange. I thought you meant the area the inner race presses onto. No grooves there. But yeah, if you have the flange sitting face down on a table (the face being the part the wheel bolts to) and looking at the splined part that the half shft splines fit into, there may be a groove running around that splined hole, just going by memeory. Never paid too close attention to it though.
Gilly