View Single Post
Old 09-26-2008, 11:26 AM
88Black560SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM98 View Post
Overfilling can damage your transmission. I would not drive the car until draining some of the fluid.

There are two ranges on the tip of the tool. Each has a min and max mark. The lower one (farthest from handle) is the level at 25C or ambient temp. The upper one is the correct level at 80C (operating temp of trans NOT the 80C coolant temp gauge on dash).

To measure insert the tool until you feel the tip reach the bottom of the sump. Don't push so hard that you flex the plastic tip. There may be a slight restriction as you insert the tool before reaching the sump.There should be about 6-8" of the tool sticking out of the tube when properly inserted.

ASAP drain some fluid out until the level is in the 25C range (cold transmission). Drive the car for about 20-30 min preferrably on uneven terrain to ensure the transmission has reached full operating temp. I like to run it thru the gears manually but I don't think that is necessary especially since you've already driven the car.

Park the car on a level spot. Wait a couple of minutes for any draining. Check level. Add new fluid (a small amount at a time) as necessary to reach the upper range. Good luck.
Thank you that is kind of what I figured but when I first got the tool I was expecting the red handle to seat in the tube. So where I have it in the picture is about where the tip just touches the bottom of the pan. Draining right now.