View Single Post
Old 09-29-2008, 11:17 PM
Your Polishing Pal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwest View Post
#1 - don't know how much play there should be in the driveshaft, but I do know that there are wide prawls and when shifting to park from drive on a hill there is a surpirsing amount of coast before the care settles. This may be related to your driveshaft play and not an issue at all.

#2 That sounds about right for the vacuum gauge. That's how they work. Pegged left in park or neutral, slightly right in gear.

#3 That's exactly how mine has been for approx 200k, always a little louder and rougher going into gear.

#4 - Can't help, except to ask if the car runs well. These cars are known for an erratic idle once in awhile. There's a million posts and suggestions. Mine got better when I replaced the Temp sensor.

#5 Had the same annoying and scary rattle from the steering damper. A PITA to get at, so I did the seeping U gasket at the same time. Suspension components wear out. You don't say how many miles, but I'll wager it's a lot. So replace what's toast and get an alignment. You'll have a nice car that makes you smile when you get in.

89 300CE 220K
Thanks for your quick reply DWest. Here are the answers to yours...

1.) I never thought about it like that, your probably right. It seems like these car have alot of slack before they lock up. The driveshaft doesn't make any noise or anything. Plus, the rear flex disc was replaced 15k or so miles ago.

2.) That does sound normal somewhat, but even a 1/4 to right is normal? I would think 1/8 at max....

3.) I wouldn't say the car is louder going into gear but it is certainly not a smooth transition at all, its a jerky motion (think as if the car had high rpms going from park to drive).

4.) Yea, theres a billion and a half posts pertaining to rough idle issues; no one thing can fix it for every car. Where is the idle control valve and MAF sensor located on these cars? I'll try to clean them up and see if that helps.

5.) Thats what I want. The car is very clean inside and out. It drives and run very good, just the "problems" listed above. I say "problem" because I take great care of my cars and having something out of whack annoys the heck out of me. So, yep, the car has 152k now. Are there any tricks for doing the steering damper and what is the U gasket?

Last edited by socaleuro; 09-29-2008 at 11:23 PM.