View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 03:24 PM

Help with oil leak on m110 engine 84 280SL

Hello all,

This is my 1st post.

I bought a 1984 280SL over 20 years ago. It has been a most excellent car. I have put almost 225k miles on it and have had virtually zero problems just the regular maintenance.

I took this car on a long trip recently and the rear wheel bearing/hub went out so I had that replaced at a MB dealer in MN. Got me back to CO and all was well. The other day I went out and noticed a big puddle of oil underneath the car in the front. Checked the oil and was very low, barely on the stick so I added some and it got me home. I put the car up on jackstands to see where exactly it is leaking. It was leaking hard and dripping pretty much steady. But one thing I noticed was if it is just idling then there is no problem - or it seems. It appears that when I turn the steering wheel it then leaks oil - engine oil and not PS fluid. I know in the past I had a slow power steering fluid leak but not all that bad. But now this is leaking engine oil. Was wondering if someone could explain how this could be happening.

Thank you!

Ricky