View Single Post
Old 10-05-2008, 04:25 PM
1966 250SE Coupe Owner

My '66 Coupe did this to the previous owner and he could only get about 30min out of the car, then it would shut down and not restart until it sat a while. That was his reason for selling it; he'd had it to a number of shops and no one could find the problem.

Amazingly, I drove it the 3hrs/240mi from San Francisco home without a problem. But a couple weeks later, it died on the way home from work and wouldn't restart.

Sure enough, there was a nice 3/8" thick plug of "stuff" built up on the screen inside the inlet fitting on the fuel injection pump. It's been fine ever since I cleaned that out.

A little hint for working on fuel lines while under the car:
1) Where some decent safety goggles that provide complete coverage, because if you remove a fuel line, splash yourself in the eyes, you're going to be in some serious trouble....and hanging onto that open fuel line isn't going to be your priority.
2) Tie rags around your wrists to keep the fuel from running down your arm, into your VERY SENSATIVE armpit, and down your side, chest or back.
3) Wash any skin that's been soaked in fuel thoroughly with soap and water to stop the burning and keep the methylethylbad**** from getting into your blood stream and liver.