View Single Post
Old 10-08-2008, 09:35 AM
New England Hick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc20 View Post
Hi all,
just bought a Mini (the original type, as opposed to BMW's MINI) for my wife, though i suspect i'll be driving it just as much. She had one before, about 8 years ago, but never actually drove it a lot. She deemed the Honda to be a bit too big for her. These cars are a hoot to drive, probably the closest thing to having your own street legal go-kart and they're one of the few cars that just put a smile on your face the moment you get behind the wheel.
Handling (non PS) is pin sharp, and the 1275cc engine is quick and responsive. The ride can be best described as 'bumpy' and not a car for long country runs, but great fun none the less.
Were these cars ever officially on the US market?

just think Michael Caine and the Italian Job

Except for the red boot, sorry, trunk lining, the car is exactly the same as this one -

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mini/Cooper/car/1119476/

most Minis on the Irish market, well those in decent condition, are almost exclusively ex-Japanese market cars. They were built in the UK, and are RHD, and come with some nice extras such as aircon, which wasn't a standard on the Euro market, and wooden dash.
Very cool, tc! I've longed for a "real" Cooper since I was a kid but I'd take a nice Mini if I came across the right one. I'm getting closer to that possibility. I'd love to see people's reactions as I unfolded my fat arse from it.

1980 300TD-China Blue/Blue MBTex-2nd Owner, 107K (Alt Blau) OBK #15
'06 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (for the wife & 4 kids, current mule) '03 Honda Odyssey (son #1's ride, reluctantly) '99 GMC Suburban (255K+ miles, semi-retired mule) 21' SeaRay Seville (summer escape pod)