View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamarie View Post
Hi,
I have a 1993 190E with 116,000 miles. I had oil in coolant, so head gasket replaced, head sent out to check for cracks, and re-surfaced.The car never overheated. The car is now losing 1 qt. coolant in 50 miles. I took it back to garage, had it presure tested that was fine. Previous to head gasket replacement compression test was fine. The mechanics said the block is cracked, and to "get rid of it". Just wanted to know if there is any other reason I could be losing coolant. What's ironic is the car runs great!
What did the mechanic do to determine the block was cracked ?? Did you take it to the same shop that did the head work? , Do you see coolant in the oil? (Milky stuff on the dipstick or fill cap) How many miles have you driven since the head job was done? Any puddles or steaming?..... I wouldn't get rid of it too quickly.

If I am reading your post correctly, you returned to the shop that did the head work for a pressure test, which was good. If that is the case, I can't see how that would point to a cracked block diagnosis.

I had a car that was losing a similar amount of coolant, yet the oil and coolant was clean, and it left no puddles....I kept it fed for several months and by chance, one day while petering around, I found some rust on my exhaust (rust is unusual in Southern CA). With the help of a dental type mirror found a hole on the underside of metal heater hose which directed coolant onto a hot exhaust pipe, leaving no puddles as it all evaporated off.

I fixed the hose and all was well for years after. Please don't ditch the car just yet.

EDIT- It may be me, but I would think of "getting rid of your mechanic" before getting rid of the car.

Last edited by riorust; 10-09-2008 at 05:09 PM.