View Single Post
Old 10-27-2008, 05:45 PM

Copy that, I was not sure about any other engines...I thought about the mass and spinning weight and was ok with it.. but did not think of the rpm limiting but so far no problems, I dont have a baseline comparison due to the clutch was out when i got the car but i dont feel it runs too much or not enough but only time will tell...my poor car was abused so im not sure if it will make another 200,000 miles for alot of worn out components and original trans just want to keep her on the road as long as possible without spending un needed money it needs plenty of other repairs like injector nozzles and balance, glow plugs, sun roof parts and still has #14 head but i will kick my self if clutch fails prematurely..but if the tranny lets go i think ill go for a unabused w124 and save this one for donor parts..I didnt realize the MB bug you get when you have one till i got my first..

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymog View Post
The fan & clutch mating could be a matter of the clutch's ability to engage the different mass of the metal vs the plastic fan.

It could also be the RPM limit of the plastic vs metal fan as the clutch has an RPM limiting feature (does not run the full/max. RPM of the engine).

Personally, without knowing the specifics on each fan and clutch, I'd lean toward keeping the plastic fan with the matching clutch and metal fan with its matching clutch.

BTW, the 350SDL also had a plastic fan, is the clutch the same as the 606 or the 603.96x? I believe that the 602 metal fan is different as the 602 metal fan has even spacing between the blades and the 602 blades are spaced irregularly. I bought a new OEM clutch for my 602 turbo for $180 about a year ago.

W211 E550
HVAC/R Certified Technician