View Single Post
Old 10-29-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjpish View Post

Second, the vacuum line going from the pressure regulator to the valve cover breather hose broke some time ago. I had plugged the opening on the breather hose to prevent oily gas from discharging but I never did anything with the the end coming from the pressure regulator. While replacing the valve cover gaskets I decided to plug that too.
I don't know if this is causing the problem, however I would fix this. It sounds like the Positive Crankcase Ventilation system, that is designed to suck the blow-by gasses to the intake and burn them. Blow-by gasses are created when some of the ignited air-fuel mixture gets around the piston rings and into the cranccase rather than the exhaust. If you plug the holes, the blow-by gasses will come out elsewhere, which could be the intake where fresh air is supposed to enter (breather element or air filter on some cars) or may blow a seal, like the crankshaft's front or rear seal, and exit that way, creating an oil leak and a much more costly repair. Not to mention the pollution it produces instead of being burned in the engine.