View Single Post
Old 10-31-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruman999
I replaced the gaskets on the rear carb, as the spacer/gasket between the throttle plate and carb was apparently leaking, causing an air leak, and I think that had part to do with why it would die when putting it in gear. Now it sometimes goes into gear. If I spray carb cleaner around the rear carb, it still revs up a little bit, but I have replaced every gaskets, and every bolt/screw is tight. I am not sure what else I can do??
Did you check how flat the base of the carb is? .A little warp will cause an air leak. Tighten the base bolts too much and you will warp the base.
Quote:

When the car is at idle, if I block the rear carb's idle air bore, the car revs up. When the car does go into gear, it runs fairly rough. If I block that rear idle air bore, it runs good. I don't necessarily think it has to do with the idle circuit, but I'm sure this bit of info is telling me the problem but I just can't figure it out!
Disconnect the front carb from the throttle linkage and try again.
If it's still running the same ,unscrew the throttle stop until the throttle plate is closed dead shut. make sure the secondary throttle plate is closed shut .
Screw the rear carb idle mixture screw home ,but not tight because you will destroy the seat.
Did you set the fuel level correctly in the float chamber?
Once you have that checked start the engine and check the idle. it should be idleing on the front carb at 700 RPM. turn the idle down if it exceeds this.
Now open the throttle with the idle stop screw on the rear carb until you can hear it hissing .If the idle speeds up a lot (e.g 200RPM increase)you are running a bit rich meaning the float level is wrong or the idle mixture screw is not screwed in far enough.
If the idle is rough,unscew the idle mixture screw slowly until the idle evens out.
if this doesn't make any difference ,you have a blockage in the idle circuit which needs to cleared.
At this point you need to synch the carbs to get them opening at exactly the same point to ensure you get full performance. [/quote]

Quote:
Last question, on the Zeniths, are both carbs supposed to have the same gaskets throughout? Particularly the uppermost gasket. I assume so, but just double checking.
Both the same.

Add to the above.
Once you have followed what i have said ;
With the engine off ,get an assistant to push the acelerator to the point where the pedal is JUST TOUCHING the kick down switch.
Use a flashlite and see if the carbs are opening fully.