View Single Post
Old 11-04-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmutt View Post
Does it matter how much the brakes are engaged? If you lightly tap does it go away?

The calipers mount to the spindle and the rotor mounts to the spindle. Your play has to be in there if the rattle goes away with light application of the brakes. If it goes away with heavy braking then it is because your front end is dipping and applying more pressure.

Dumb question..... The rubber donuts on the shocks, can you describe how they are mounted?
Its hard to tell diffenence in effect on noise between light tapping on brakes or more pressure. My general sense is that light tapping of brakes has little effect on noise, heavier braking makes noise go away...that is why I have been lately exploring the effects of heavy braking related to loading of the suspension, steering and drivetrain. But what keeps nagging at me is that the noise sounds like a loose wheel or wheel bearing.

The rubber donuts on the shocks are mounted two per shock...one underneath between shock and body, one up on top between nut/washer and body. I do have the "cup washer" oriented cup down instead of up as it should be, but this cup washer has no chance of banging against the body. Plus the noise is not high up in the shock towers, but low down in front.

Thanks again,

Mark