View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgingerbread View Post
I have a wierd problem. My 280se 3.5 will start up run smooth and then just like you turn the ignition key to the stop position it stops-period. It will not re-start.
I am stumped because I have replaced or reconditioned quite a few parts.
Each replacement part makes an improvement but there is still this nagging problem of stopping. It just stops. I have checked the fuel lines, the cold start valve, the thermostat and the warm running device. I have replaced the points with a Pertronix unit and flame thrower coil.
I replaced the alternator and voltage regulator because the engine acted funny when I turned on the light switch and switched from low to high beams.
The engine was purring like a kitten today and then it just stopped.........
Maybe check your ground connections - all of them! There should be one from the ECU and one just below the coil plus a bunch that come together on the top the engine under the air cleaner (I making a big assumption that your 280SE 3.5 is something like my 350SL.

I ran a separate ground wire from the distributer casing when I installed my Pertronix (put a ring connector on one of those small screws and ran it directly to the battery negative.

If not a ground, I would check all the other engine ignition wiring. Also check that the connector for the trigger points is inserted properly and making proper contact.

My SL engine manual gives methods for troubleshooting both components and wiring - If you don't have manual for your engine, there is one on-line somewhere - maybe under w116.

Good Luck