View Single Post
Old 11-18-2008, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty600 View Post
"Direct" gasoline injection, available now from many makes, is negating the difference
in operating costs, compared to diesels and their $1.00 per gallon cost penalty. The intake manifold carries only air, and the PCM is so advanced, that MPG gains from this method of fuel delivery will get even better in the coming years. I think GM has an engine in the test lab that runs on gasoline, but on off-idle situations, switches to 'compression' ignition, by using variable cam timing to raise the cyl. pressures. It sips gas, like a true diesel, using cheaper fuel.
I hope the big 3 emerge from this mess strong, we are a 3rd. world country without them....
Yeah I heard someone from GM talk about this, but I don't see how this can be cheaper, more reliable and more efficient than a good old diesel engine. Maybe it will be eventually, but it's not even available yet. And if history is any guide, the Germans or Japanese will beat them to the punch and GM and the other 2 will be lucky to play catchup.

Past MB's: '96 E300D, '83 240D, '82 300D, '87 300D, '87 420SEL