Thread: W123 vs W124
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2002, 02:56 AM

W123 vs W124

I happened to spend the early morning working on my '87 300Dt and then go for a fairly long drive. As I worked on the car I was struck by how much more plastic and "quicky" connectors and attachments the 124 has vs. my '85 123. The later car was clearly designed to be put together faster and cheaper but still retain it's MBZ feel. The catch is as it hits it's 15th birthday lots of those plastic parts break and need to be replaced. Also, the gizmos (which I dearly love) that move the seats, sunroof, etc. continue to need maintenance and add to the work/frustration involved in doing even simple work on the car. It is clear that the 124 is just not as solid fundamentally as my 123 wagon. However, when I'm out driving it, I just love the extra power, comfort and quiet that my 123 seems to lack. However, the older car has a certain solid, well put together feel to it that is unlike any other car I have owned. So which is better...I guess for sheer driving pleasure give me the 124, but if I have to choose one car to always run and get me there no matter what I'd have to choose the 123 turbo. I love them both, each in their own way.
1985 300 TDT(130K miles of trouble free motoring)now sold