Thread: Quaife lsd
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2008, 10:42 AM
Unbanned...?

A Mercedes guy working on a 190E-16 created his own "phantom grip" block for less than half the price - eBay seller "evo2turbo". He doesn't have any available right now, they might be sold out. Check out this auction. I attached the photos below, for when the auction disappears from eBay's servers.

These will probably only fit on the 185mm diffs, not the 210mm. And, you have to eliminate the locking clips for the axle flanges... there will be nothing holding the axle flanges in place. When used on an open diff, there is really nothing except the face of the side gears providing friction to connect left & right... not really the best idea. The spring-block ("phantom grip") setup is better as an aid to a proper clutch-type LSD, where it's adding spring pressure to a clutch pack, similar to the factory ASD system.

Whipplem104, another option is the factory 210mm LSD, which will fit in your 210mm housing, for 2.65-3.06 gears. It's about $900 wholesale from the stealership, ready to bolt in. A bit cheaper than the Quaife, with none of the worries about if it will fit. I assume you've already seen my spreadsheet? I know a couple people who have already done this, and I'll be building a 2.65 LSD for my E500 this winter... already have the parts, just need to put it together.

Attached Thumbnails
Quaife lsd-spring%2520block.jpg   Quaife lsd-spring%2520block%25202.jpg  

Check out my website photos, documents, and movies!