View Single Post
Old 11-30-2008, 10:05 AM
Banned

Semester in Canada

My middle kid is going to Univ of Guelph for the Spring semester. We live at about 29 deg north latitude. Guelph is at about 44 deg. If I remember correctly, it gets colder the farther north you go, isn't that right? Her wardrobe doesn't include feathers and woven animal hair. It probably should, huh?

Yesterday we went looking for winter clothes and guess what, we don't have any around here. I worked for a couple of years surveying in northern Michigan and in western Wyoming and I remember quite clearly that I was layered-up like a tiramisu cake. But I was outside dawn-to-dusk and probably took a lot more precautions -- I planned for an emergency night in the field with what I could carry.

She'll be in a dorm on a meal ticket, no car. Daddy is frugal to the point of Ebenezer Scrooge. But I don't want her to experience a death camp quality of life either.

So I have a question for you folks who live in the great wasteland above Arkansas who also have an eye on fashion -- where is a website or a store in Houston (my sister-in-law is from Edmonton and they live in Clear Lake/Kemah) that we can visit to buy a proper winter wardrobe for a 22 year-old young lady in college at Guelph? Uh, ... that wont raid my bank account.

Bot