View Single Post
Old 11-30-2008, 08:02 PM
10mm MW

I have had a thought for a while now for a high flow PC and after seeing the patents, I want to get some feed back on it.

The ball has been off set from the center line of the tube in an effort to create a better swirl in the PC which improved combustion. What if an auger was put in the burn tube to increase velocity and flow direction? A radical helix, like some mufflers use, could be designed and inserted in the tube. It's job is to spin the air as the air travels through the tube to the chamber. The chamber end of the helix would be positioned to direct the air toward the wider side of the ball / chamber, the intended flow direction created by the ball its self.

The helix would provide a hot surface in addition to the ball to aid in the atomization of the fuel that is not burned by the time it gets to the tube.

It could also help isolate the acoustical pressure (shock) wave from the main combustion chamber (piston and rings), but if it needs to be too coarse of a pitch it probably would not. (just a thought)

It might work better with the standard 617.95 (centered ball) PCs because there would be a more even flow around both sides of the ball as apposed to the new design where the ball to wall clearance is grater on one side.

There are some issues that I can see with assembling the helical PC, and I have not totally thought out all the pros and cons of the concept, but I thought I would accelerate the process by throwing it out for everyone to comment on.