View Single Post
Old 12-09-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Blue View Post
Before sinking money into a new starter, what type, size and condition is your battery?

Also, have you cleaned the cable connections? Ensure, especially the ground connections, are clean, tight and some folks seal with laquer to prevent corrosion. Beefing those up to the next larger size, especially the batt-chassis, should help also.

Every time I have run across a slow starter in cold conditions, it was usually a battery-related problem. And certainly less expensive and easier to repair.
Many thanks for all the help! The battery is a new, top of the line spiral-core NAPA rated at 1050CCA; not sure on the condition of the wires - that is worth double-checking.

As far as the starter, I'd like to be able to positively ID the PN# for the stronger Turbo starter - I'm sure the one on the car is the original and after 26 years and 331,000 miles, I'm certain it's a little more than tired.

The forums mentioned several people who couldn't believe the difference between a new and old starter. Just be nice to make sure I'm putting on the right one!

Thanks again,

-James