View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008, 10:32 AM

I think this is the bleeding procedure, for after you refill the fluid.

I've never had much luck with the preload adjustment on other makes that they describe in that link. I don't think it will make up for a severely worn box. I've never experienced the exactness that M-B seems to get out of recirc ball in any other make. The worst appear to be GM boxes from what I've experienced, Fords aren't as bad but still not great. The Alfas I've hard were really hard to adjust, using shims/etc but were slightly better than the domestics. I used to think that, in order to get precise steering you needed rack and pinon, but the recirc boxes that Mercedes makes are quite impressive in that regard. It could just be that the boxes I've carefully and painstakingly adjusted in that way in the past were just junk to begin with. It seems like most of the time you adjust them, you just end up with a slightly binding AND loose-feeling box, so then you back off a hair and end up with the same loose box you started with. I'm not trying to dissuade you, just saying that this procedure alone *might* not do all that you hope. I think there must be some way of restoring orignial spec to the guts of the box but as you've pointed out, it's probably black magic at this point. If you get it done, that'd be quite a skill to possess.
Boston, MA