View Single Post
Old 12-13-2008, 10:37 AM
Loose Cannon - No Balls

The miles kill the E 320 from a dealer standpoint. He can't get it financed conventionally, it books low, and only a few people will even be interested unless it is dirt cheap. He likely took it in trade for less than $1000. The Jeep is more of a known commodity to him perhaps, he knows a dealer or person who will buy it. I think that the $$ in the deal sound about right to a good purchase depending on the condition of the '95. Even a perfect '95 with over 200,000miles isn't going to bring much.

The ignition if picked/turned on will pop out with two pins/paperclips/allen-wrenches/etc. poked into the two holes correctly, a 5minute job. If the mechanic can't pick locks, most can't pick these, he will need to grind either the lock ring (carefully to avoid damaging the dash and/or the lock below) or the pins holding the complete assembly (requires removing under-dash covers and dropping the steering column), either one from others who have done so, will cost several hours of labor (even 4hours seems like a low estimate). I would be sure it is done correctly (pick and remove) which should be a locksmith, and the removal sequence of a picked/turned lock is in the DIY, I've done it several times, don't let someone butcher the assembly.

Gone to the dark side

- Jeff