View Single Post
Old 12-13-2008, 06:53 PM

Thumbs up you got it

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankenship View Post
if i'm reading you correctly, you're saying that to be assured of doing this correctly, with my current lobe/washer situation (which looks just like MPLafleur's shot (re-posted below) and at TDC on my crank damper, i need to:

1) turn the engine over such that i can remove the rocker arms.
2) w/ rocker arms removed, rotate the engine until i once again see the lobe/washer situation in the photos below (so i know what i'm starting with).
3) then rotate the crank another 360º to the next TDC (which we assume will be the intake stroke for the engine, even though the cam sprocket and lobe position will be 180º different from the photo).
4) remove the cam sprocket.
5) rotate the cam (by hand) until it is in the position shown in the photo below.
6) put the sprocket back on, and reassemble everything.
7) reset all the valve clearances? (again?)
8) drive off into the sunset.

yes?
Yes. Exactly.
Quote:
question: HOW is it POSSIBLE that i could've botched this and gotten it timed 180º out? is this fairly common/easy to do? i don't get it.
I have no idea, apparenly you have the rare 'gotcha' option on the camshaft washer that let's you install the cam 180 degrees wrong just in case you ever get wrapped up in a three stooges movie about fixing old diesels.