View Single Post
Old 12-14-2008, 12:43 AM
1966 250SE Coupe Owner

I've hung a few mufflers on the cars that I've had/have and have just used biggest "look-a-like" generic one that the local muffler shop had or could get, that would fit and look OE. Been happy so far. I would warn you about going to places like Midas and Mieneke.

The smoking may go away as you get some miles on it. I'd suggest a hot oil change and substitute 1/2 a quart of engine oil for 1/2qt of ATF (automatic transmission fluid). Then start putting some miles on it with varying load and speed. As you're loading and unloading the rings, with the ATF on board, they'll get broken loose and sort of cleaned....if they are sludged or carboned up. I've had good success with this. I had an engine that hadn't been run in something like 25 years, and it was seized. I carefully broke it loose, then got oil pressure, then started it. In a matter of weeks, it went from running decent with a lot of blow-by, to running fantastic with almost no blow-by.

The car should really have an 80*C thermostat. If you don't know what's in there, replace it with an OE Behr or Wahler. It should sit right on the 80C mark, maybe slightly higher. Otherwise, you've probably got a radiator that needs to be rodded out because the tubes are closed up with corrosion. The other key to your cooling system is the radiator fan clutch. If it's no longer sensing tempurature and locking up, you won't get good cooling because it will just be coasting along and not spinning at engine speed.

These engines love to burn exhaust valves, so do yourself a favor and adjust your valves asap. It doesn't take that long to do (surprisingly).

Can't help you on the wood or turn sigs.

Who needs a gym membership when there's vintage Mercedes sheetmetal to clay bar!

Now that you've got the finish opened up with clay bar, go back over it with Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze, by hand, and then seal it up with their Gold Class, or #26 wax.

Last edited by Todd Miller; 12-14-2008 at 12:49 AM.