View Single Post
Old 04-26-2002, 12:42 PM

<<
It is interesting to note that Mercedes/AMG put the "new" Mobil 1 with "supersyn" formulation in each and every AMG that leaves the factory...
>>

They only use Mobil 1 0W-40 and 0W-40 Turbo Diesel, not the 5W-30 and 10W-30. 0W-40 meets the Mercedes 229.1 and 229.3 sheets (15W-50 meets only 229.1) but the 5W-30 and 10W-30 do not meet any of these sheets. As a matter of fact, the MB oil approval list says these oils (along with 0W-30) are not recommended in MB cars.

I have stated ealier that the Mobil 1 0W-40 and 15W-50 are good oils (their specs numbers did not deteriate in this new formulation) but the 5W-30 and, especially, 10W-30 deteriated a lot in specs (higher pour and lower flash points).

BTW, the 0W-40 is a marketing game. It really shold be called like a 12W-40 (as it is thicker than Mobil 1 10W-30 at 40 deg C.

<<
Bo, I do not work for Mobil oil and certainly do not derive any renumeration for someone buying Mobil 1 at their local Wal Mart. The views I express are those of a lubrication professional sharing information I have gathered both from a practical use application or at times good 'insider'information.
>>

Do you operate a business that mail-orders Mobil oils? What is the nature of your business in relation to Mobil? It is not our business, of course, but it would increase your credibility if you have no involvement in Mobil.

For me, I have been a Mobil 1 user for years but the recent two formulations, along with vague and conflicting marketing information, are increasingly upsetting me.

<<
I have shared "real" data relative to the Mobil 1 MSDS sheets which have described Mobil 1 with SuperSyn as being PAO based.
>>

Yes, it is PAO based. But that does not mean 100% of its base stock is PAO (as you stated in other boards). I think a "lubrication professional" should know the difference there. Since you have "insider" infomation from Mobil, WHAT IS THE PAO PERCENTAGE IN THE BASE STOCK, 10%, 20%, or 30%?

Amsoil says 100% of its base stock is PAO. Can Mobil say the same???

If you look at the Chevron MSDS at
http://library.cbest.chevron.com/lubes/chevmsdsv9.nsf/f2f12b5992bba20488256b4c0074a415/3cbf3fa62b8a2e518825656c0004d470?OpenDocument&Highlight=0,delo
it lists the components in percentages. Why cannot Mobil be that straight telling us what is exactly in its oil?

We know it is PAO "based". 10% of PAO in base stock is PAO based, do you agree?

I do not know how many times I have to quote Mobil's own words to prove to you that Mobil 1 with Supersyn IS NOT 100% PAO. Here it goes one more time:

"These include polyalphaolefins (PAOs) and other ExxonMobil® engineered fluids which make up the Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ formula. "

It is PAO and "other ExxonMobil® engineered fluids", not just PAO.

Last edited by loubapache; 04-26-2002 at 02:50 PM.