View Single Post
Old 12-24-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe View Post
Speaking of not knowing what you're talking about, morty.

A 606 runs without a battery in it, because I've had mine out before driving 25 miles to the MB store to buy a new battery. Husk is correct about them not needing a battery to run.
I'll stand by what I said, you can't run these cars without electrical power, but that doesn't mean that they won't run without a battery. Read post #51 and you will see my clarification:

"Sorry Husk, I misunderstood your prior statement and thought you meant you could run the OM606 without electrical power. You can probably run the car without a battery, of course just about any car, gas or diesel can run without a battery as long as it has a good alternator. I've driven gas powered cars without batteries too and yes, they will run off the alternator."

My point here is that Husk seemed to imply there was something unique about the ability to run a diesel without a battery - which of course there is not. In the old days, probably up to about 1980 you could run a diesel Mercedes without a battery or alternator because once started the engine required no electrical energy. That was unique to a diesel. After they started controlling certain functions with computers this became more problematic and once the IP became computer controlled it was impossible. That's what confused people about Husk's post - that somehow he could run his car without electrical power, not simply with the battery removed once it was started.

You and he seem to both have trouble reading all of the details of a post before responding. You both also seem to like goading people into arguments. A this point I'm done responding to him and also done with you - except to correct this error which you made in interpreting my post to mean you could not run the car without a battery...I concur that you can in this and just about any car (why you would want to I don't know).

Most people on this board appreciate a lively debate (as I do) but when people turn into instigators and have arguments like "today's gas engines require costly tuneups" and the bluetec emissions controls are "simple" and "have little that can go wrong" it's obvious they are either, ignorant, delusional or just trying to be irritating. That's when I get less diplomatic in my responses.

2013 C300 4Matic
1984 BMW 733i
2013 Lincoln MKz

Last edited by nhdoc; 12-24-2008 at 08:11 AM.