View Single Post
Old 04-28-2002, 03:17 AM

looking for recommendations on tires

I know I can spend time looking around for reviews and all, but I am not buying for a little while, until I know exactly what I will have to spend out of insurance.

But in preperations, I am most likely buying the following:

17X7.5 Wheels ET of 35

Tire size that should work fine for me is 225/45/17 if I am correct from what I have read around.

As for tires, I'm open to most brands, the car will never see snow, and well not too much rain either as this is Los Angeles.

I was thinking something along the lines of the following requirements.

1. Good handling
2. Quiet
3. Best mileage without compromising on performance.

a 30,000 mile tire is not out of the question, most cars I have driven have had long lasting tires, but handling wasn't as good as it could.

On a side note....

My MGB had pirelli P6 tires that gripped well, you could tell where your traction was and wasn't, and they were nice tires, I'm not sure how the mileage was as the car got totalled with about 15-20k on the tires, but from what I remember they still had good tread left. I have driven on p6 tires on a 1976 porsche 911s 2.7 my brother had and they were nice on that car too. I have also driven with them on an 85 190e 2.3 my brother had, and they were great on that car. So as you can see, pirelli p6's so far from my experience performed nicely and all.

I am considering a similar tire as the p6's characteristics, as I think it was a very good tire.

I would like to keep cost down as much as can, but I'm not looking to skimp oon the tires over a few dollars. I don't mind a slight price increase if the tires are that much better.

I would like tires with a rim guard if possible too, but its not a major deciding factor.

So all you out there who know tires, I'm looking for suggestions. I will be adding bilstein sport shocks to my neuspeed spring combo, and maybe even a sway bar upgrade. I might even do the suspension bushings with new sportline bushings too. So that should lean more towards a more performance oriented tire. It should have decent to good wet traction for those times when it does rain here.

Alon