View Single Post
Old 01-03-2009, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellit View Post
PB Blaster is a penetrating lube (Wal Mart or auto parts stores)...It stinks but does a good job on stuck bolts if you can get it in the area....Also helps to tap the stuck bolts firmly with hammer after soaking the bolts....this sets up micro-vibrations that help the fluid get in the sealed corrosion between the parts....That sounds whackey but it works on stubborn parts.....spray & tap....spray & tap.....primitive ultrasonics.....this pearl of wisdom learned from a 90 year old machinist/mechanic....

Get the trans off before worrrying about the internals....If it is bad it has to come off anyway......
This is probably useless information as he's got the transmission off but in my experience you may not need large whacks. Just tapping with a small hammer seems to help. Whether it is actually doing anything or just passing time while the oil/PB Blaster penetrates I've never tested . But spray and tap, spray and tap definitely doesn't hurt and does seem to help.

Another old trick is to hold the wrench or socket firmly in place with one hand and hit/"bump" the handle with the other. Hit it with force but not a lot. If you hurt your hand you are hitting too hard. I've never explored physics behind this but it does work better then just straining your muscles on a seized bolt. It apparently applies more force in that instant than just steady pressure. And is easier on the arms.