View Single Post
Old 01-12-2009, 10:42 PM
Dead on balls accurate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooka View Post
I think this fellow was lucky to be around people that did not share his views. If his arguments were convincing enough perhaps they might have seen his way of thinking. Not change their minds, understand you, but at least see where he is coming from.

Professors in undergratuate courses do not like to be challanged, but who cares what they like? When I was in school I ran into a ROTC professor that was so pro Veitnam it was unreal. I pointed out my objections to it and we had a sensible discussion on the pros and cons of the whole thing. He never agreed with me nor I with him, but I did see his side and he saw mine. (Note: My side was that the war was unwinable since the last big war the Veitnamiese fought was with China and had lasted 900 years.)

I know a fellow that has been working on his Phd. in History for seven years and has been told by one school after another that he will likely never get it. He has his views of European history and they don't seem to line up with the accepted facts. No school wants to give him a Doctorate as it would reflect badly on them once this guy starts teaching.

I wonder what the schools' side of this story looks like?

Pooka
I am glad your experience was a good one.
As for your Doctoral candidate fellow, he should be allowed to pursue his work as he sees fit. If we only listened to accepted views, the Earth would still be considered flat.

I am all for an open debate on any subject. What is sad is when one side feels that it is 'THE RIGHT VIEWPOINT' and does whatever it can to stifle the other side. This goes for both left and right.

All viewpoints should be allowed to be heard. This is one reason why I like Mercedesshop. If only the universities were as open to debate as this site is. It is most depressing when this happens at the collegiate level. College is where you are supposed to develop your OWN views and the ability to think for yourself. To me toeing a party line is the exact opposite of this.

Current
Monika '74 450 SL
BrownHilda '79 280SL
FoxyCleopatra '99 Chevy Suburban
Scarlett 2014 Jeep Cherokee
Krystal 2004 Volvo S60
Gone
'74 Jeep CJ5
'97 Jeep ZJ Laredo
Rudolf ‘86 300SDL
Bruno '81 300SD
Fritzi '84 BMW