View Single Post
Old 01-16-2009, 10:39 PM

Clutch hydraulic issuse/questions!

I originally posted in the Vintage section about my 220D that was having clutch/transmission issues. With a lot of good responses and some digging on my own it seems that the hydraulic system for the clutch is in question.

Now, I've been under the car and there was a little wetness on the bottom of the transmission right on the drain plug.....the car has been sitting for over a week and I don't see a drip spot on the ground....

But, when I checked the slave cylinder there were signs of some leaking.

I haven't had it to a mechanic about this issue yet, money is tight and I thought I would see about fixing it myself if possible.

I figure the transmission oil needs changed for sure because who knows how much is in there and how old it is. I've only had the car a few months.

Now, if there are signs of the slave cylinder leaking should I pull it and replace the seals or is this a straight replacement?

I guess I'm fishing for advice on this as far as should I tackle it myself?
I know I can find a slave cylinder locally, there are resources, and then bleed the system? I've heard this is tricky, but I have the manual which explains the method of using the tube from the brake bleed to slave bleed and then bleed in reverse.

Oh I checked the fluid level in the master/brake cylinder and it seemed fine. If there's a leak there isn't much.

thanks for any help!

mark