View Single Post
Old 01-22-2009, 11:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagon View Post
thanks diesel 911. i found the problem. one of the bolts on the filter housing had stripped the housing threads. it came right out, threads full of metal bits. ugh. i have tried wrapping a new, replacement bolt with plumbers tape to no avail. since i can't drive the car, i need any ideas on what to do. i don't have re-threading tools. i wonder if anyone has any modification ideas that will save me having to tow it to a machinist or someone who can re-thread.
also, and i know this will be a dumb question to many: what's the best way to turn/screw the double-sided bolt without damaging the threads on the other end? so far i tried wrapping a small cloth around it and using a pair of dykes. i ask because i also got a replacement bolt that's a little too big, thinking i could maybe force it in to make new grooves.
thanks anyone.
There is no other choice than getting the correct thread tap and retapping the threads for a new bolt! Any cheat to doing this right and you are going to join the destoyed engine club! It could blow off while going down the highway and nowhere to stop. If your not sure of how to do this, get someone to help you or take it to a mechanic and have it done right.