View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009, 08:06 PM
92 300D 2.5L OBK #59

W124 Shift Lever Bushings

Hello All,
The Mercedes made it home and when I went to shift into reverse nothing happened, then park - nada- nothing. The shift lever was limp. Luckily I was able to turn around and pull into the drive way.
Shut off the car. OOPS... Couldn't restart cause it wasn't in Neutral or Park.
Was going to drive on the ramps I have... Wrong...
Out come the jack.. Began to jack the car to get under.... (Did I mention the car wasn't in Park... The car rolled... OOOPS...Set Brake and Chock tires...
OK.. Jack car... Place Jack stand under car... HMMMM... It's not high enough... Take out the lift thingy... OK... Car is firmly on support....Shake car.. doesn't budge... AHHHHH... something going my way... OH.. (Did I mention my 77 Year Young dad is trying to help me... Like why aren't the tires pointing straight ahead)
Under the car I go.. OOPS... New Shirt.. Not a lot of room.. Get old shirt on... Ohhh looky.. Shift rod hanging from the transmission side.. Not the shifter side..OK... Hey where's the clip? Wheres the bushing? Got on the phone called Henry. I need a W124 Shift Linkage... He ask are you sure? Not the bushing and clip.... AHHHHHH sigh of relieve.... Yeap just the bushing and clip.. Their a few buck.. You can get them at the dealer faster... I said thanks for the tip.
Called the stealer... They have them in stock (bushing and clips). Cool!!!.. Things are going my way... Bummer.. Only 15 minutes to get there before they close... OK.. Got to wait to tomorrow...

LESSONS LEARNED....
The bushing and clips are cheap...Easy to check when your under the car. Looks like a relative easy fix.... (I've done some reading there's some work to getting the bushings to fit into the hole) Use a washer and long pliers to force it into the hole.... Soften up first in warm water...

I'll finish this tomorrow maybe some pictures...

Bobo
92 300D 2.5L I5 OM 602 W124.. OBK #59
92 300D 2.5L OM602 OBK #59