View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 01:03 PM

Angry 300SD dies at idle and has NO POWER!!!

Hello Folks,

I looked through the DITY pages and the other helpful links but Im not sure what my problem is..

Got kind of a weird one. I have an 83 300SD (300K miles) been running on VO for about 2 years now. No real problems with it until recently. I have an inline heater and 3 filters. I replaced all filters and I'm running on 50 WVO and 50% diesel.
About 2 weeks ago the power was getting really low. Not much acceleration at all. Then it just died.. I got it restarted but wouldn’t hold an idle. I had to bump it from N to Drive to get it home while giving it some gas.
It still had the original hand pump to prime the system. When I was working it leaked all over.
Thinking this lack of fuel meant it had an air leak. I replaced the pump, checked all fuel lines for any possible leaks and none could be found. Started it up and seemed to be OK.. Drive it around the block and it still had NO BALLS at all. Then Id died on me again... I had to do the bump and grind to get it home.. Again.
I did notice that it would shutter a bit in the tranny and wouldn’t downshift on good acceleration
-My guess is a vacuum/air leak of some kind? But where....
-what places can I check to ensure all the right hoses are connected?
-Any suggestions are apprenticed.

Thanks Chris in FL.