View Single Post
Old 02-07-2009, 09:01 PM

Injection Pump Special Tool Question

Try as I might, I couldn't get the barrel to come up to get it back into position while the pump was on the engine. I had no choice but to remove the IP. The manual shows a special tool -- sometimes called a "centering tool," but it gives little information about it's function or how to use it. It looks just like the "assembly cage" that has to be removed to install the tool. The assembly cage fits very close to but does not touch a pilot diameter on the IP sprocket. I imagine that the centering tool is supposed to hold the IP sprocket in position while the IP is removed. What I did was take the assembly cage and wrap a bunch of turns of electrical tape around the part that fits close to the IP sprocket. Then I put it back in and tightened it down against the sprocket *hoping* it will keep it in position just as well as the special tool would -- if that in fact is what the tool does.

So I need to know... am I ok? Or does the tool have a more sophisticated function?

As to the pump problem... when I had the pump out I was able to remove the barrel and position it properly. Fortunately it was the number 1 barrel. The fuel inlet hole provides a bit of access to the barrel OD, and there is a threaded plug on the front of the pump that also gives access to the barrel. I was able to get a couple of screwdrivers in there and work the barrel out. Taking off the side cover gives access to the locating pins... they are close fits in small bores inside the cover. The pins are installed and then their bosses are lightly peened to stake them in place. It was obvious that my number one pin had been pushed back a bit when the barrel was mispositioned. I pushed the pin back into place, then reinstalled the barrel, delivery valve, and holder. Tomorrow I'll install the pump (as long as my makeshift tool is adequate).

The barrel was really stuck in there... When the pump was still on the engine I had a magnet with a nine pound pull on the barrel while I was working at it with a screwdriver through the fuel inlet. It wiggled a bit, but wouldn't come up until I had the pump on the bench. I don't know what I would've done if it were not number 1.

Anyway... anybody know about that centering tool???

Thanks!