View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 05:51 AM

sounded like my rear end was about to blow up!!!

I was replacing my rear brake calipers today on the 79 300sd, one of the previous calipers boots was busted and leaking. after the swap I put on the left wheel and my friend put on the right. We went for a drive and started hearing the worst noise I think I have ever heard this car make.

It was a cringing noise, with lots of tension. Sounding like something was about to blow up! I limped my benz (growling and screeching) back to the coldisac. This noise was extremly pronounced, and I never want to hear anything like it again, hahah. Found play in the wheel rear right wheel, it hadnt been centered properly. Removed the wheel, caliper, and put it back up on jacks. when turning the oppisite wheel, the rear left hub was still making the grinding and screaming, and most clearly appeared to be a blown wheel bearing...

I bolted everything back up, I drove it over to the tire factory to have them verify it was the bearing. They said indeed it was the bearing that was blown. I started driving it a few miles up the road to park it at my pops house until i could work on it, and on the way up the hill to my dads the noise stopped. so i cruised the car around back roads for another hour or so.. no more noise... small wheel bearing squeak on occaision but that is all.

Obviously it needs replaced but can i get away driving on this??